Data Privacy & E-commerce
In today’s market, a company must maintain a significant online presence just to stay competitive. Although this online presence is necessary, it brings inherent risks within the online marketplace involving privacy issues, protection of trade secrets and brand marks, rights of end-users to websites, and other issues. It is critical to understand this aspect of data privacy and e-commerce activity.
At Thompson LLP, our approach is sophisticated, backed by experience, and responsive to each client’s unique internet law and media needs.
Our team handles a variety of technical issues, from representing healthcare organizations with online HIPAA compliance to litigating domain name disputes for startups. As cross-border data rights and regulations increase, and as more companies become internationally available, we service the multi-jurisdictional needs that accompany this growth and development. Lawyers from our firm focus on providing efficient, personally-tailored solutions in these matters, so that exposure is mitigated and clients are up-to-date on best practices.
The firm provides consultation and representation for startups and established companies regarding issues related to:
- E-commerce and privacy law
- Web developer and host agreements (including the protection of trade secrets)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Domain name and trademark availability
- Online business contracts
- Website privacy policies
- Trademark filing and enforcement
- The Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP)
- Domain name transfer and escrow services
- Domain name disputes