Ben Thompson is the Managing Partner of Thompson LLP. He represents public and private companies in a variety of corporate matters. He focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and general transactional matters, often based in or involving complex intellectual property issues.
Ben has represented buyers, sellers, and other interested parties in acquisitions, divestitures, investments, and strategic alliances. In addition, Ben serves as outside general counsel to multiple private companies, advising on a broad range of operational and governance matters.
Clients appreciate Ben’s strategic approach to identifying effective legal and business solutions as well as his sincere interest in the growth and longevity of their companies. Prior to his legal career, he was a musician and composer and enjoys the ability to employ creativity in his practice, as well as servicing the arts through the firm’s work.
· Represented Austrian investment syndicate infinancing cross-border gene therapy research and technology firm
· Represented cross-border digital marketing company in its acquisition by public British conglomerate
· Represented domestic acquirer of public bank and related financing
· Represented special committee of the board of directors of public asset management company in its management buyout
· Represented software and technology company in its merger with information technology service provider
· Represented European shareholder syndicate in successful challenge to domestic holding company’s board conduct and breach of fiduciary duties
· Represented cross-border software company through corporate conversion and various rounds of financing and equity restructuring
· Represented domestic beverage manufacturer through formation, financing, and multiple restructuring efforts
Areas of Practice
Business and Corporate
Data Privacy and E-commerce
Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
Texas A&M University, B.A.
National Law Journal, Intellectual Property Trailblazer (2023)
New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2015 - 2020)
Parsons School of Design at The New School, Adjunct Professor, teaching Business Regulations and Practices (2020 - present)
Parsons Entrepreneur Academy, Instructor (2021 - present)
Cardozo School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Law, Negotiation Strategy (2011 - 2013)
Cardozo School of Law, Lecturer, Advanced Copyright Law (2009 - 2012)
Cardozo School of Law, Mediation and Negotiation Competition Teams Coach (2009 - 2012)
Lessons from Nike, Inc. v. USAPE LLC, The New York Law Journal, August 2023
Planning an Acquisition Strategy in Today’s Economy, Mergers&Acquisitions, June 2023
Arbitration of International Intellectual Property Disputes, 1st edition, Chapter 10: Provisional and Final Remedies, co-author with John Fellas