A brief update on my coverage of the Aereo streaming service copyright litigation by District:
- Boston (1st Circuit): No preliminary injunction against Aereo, plaintiff’s request to expedite appeal denied this week
- New York (2nd Circuit): No preliminary injunction against Aereo
- Utah (10th Circuit): Lawsuit filed against Aereo this week
- Los Angeles (9th Circuit): Injunction granted against Aereo-like service Filmon X
- Washington D.C. (Federal Circuit): Injunction granted against Aereo-like service Filmon X
What Aereo’s lawyers seem to be doing right (versus what Filmon seems to be doing wrong) will be analyzed as part of a subsequent post as I gather data on their respective filings. It is fairly clear that the two services are virtually identical, so if it looks like the 9th Circuit is geared to place itself at odds with the 1st and 2nd Circuits (no guarantees of this since the various appeals have not been ruled on yet), then we are likely to see some Supreme Court action in 2014-2015.
LawTechie is a blog focusing on trends in tech and digital media. Areas covered include intellectual property, cyberlaw, venture capital, transactions and litigation as they relate to the emerging sectors. The blog is edited by the firm's partner Tim Bukher with contributions from the firm's experts in their respective areas of law.